Sunday, July 24, 2016

Classroom Assessment and Grading That Work

Classroom Assessment and Grading That WorkClassroom Assessment and Grading That Work by Robert J. Marzano
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book wasn't/isn't as spectacular as I had hoped. Probably the best part of this book is the distinction between "failure-avoidant" and "success-oriented" students. It's a bit reminiscent of Carol Dweck's "fixed" versus "growth" mindsets. Nevertheless, it does contain some helpful advice for teachers on how often one should assess students. It also gives guidance on utilizing specific objectives to create effective assessments that measure growth. Overall, it's a bit expensive, and I'm not sure it is worth the cost. One can find this information in various other places for free. That said, there isn't much ground-breaking material in here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

On Stephen King's Uses of Verisimilitude, Suspense and the Monster in Short Stories

It by Stephen King My rating: 4 of 5 stars I've been re-reading some of Stephen King's works to get a feel for his winning formu...